Stacie L. Hibino
Over the past 15+ years, I have led numerous teams and projects on future products and services, developing new user experiences and evaluating technical feasibility and user desirability. This work included user research for user understanding and insights, ideation and concept development, user scenarios, UX design, prototyping, user evaluation, and product strategy and roadmap. I have experience across a broad range of UX / product areas, including those for: TV, new display-based products, audio products, voice UX, wearable and mobile devices, cross-device UX (e.g., mobile, tablet, TV), consumer digital photography, collaborative and communication applications for mobile devices, social games for mobile (iOS), information visualization for data analysis, and multimedia software for the foreign language classroom.
July 2018 – present | San Jose, CA
Currently on sabbatical, taking a break from traditional work and working on personal projects. Open to consulting opportunities.
March 2011 – June 2018 | San Jose and Mountain View, CA
Samsung Research America / Samsung Electronics America
Acting Lab Head, Experience Innovation Lab (01/2018 – 06/2018), SEA (re-org)
Acting Lab Head, Customer Experience Lab (02/2017 – 12/2017), SRA
Managed interdisciplinary team of 30+ people, including interaction and visual designers, PoC engineers, user researchers. Our lab led UX commercialization efforts on Samsung Smart TV, art mode UX for The Frame lifestyle TV, UX for Family Hub 2.0 refrigerator.
Tangible UX Director, Customer Experience Lab (04/2015 – 02/2017), SRA
Technical and UX Director, Smart Things Innovations Lab (04/2014 – 03/2015), SRA
Sr UX Innovation Engineer / Project Manager, UX Innovations Lab (01/2013 – 03/2014), SRA
Sr UX Innovation Engineer / Project Leader, UX Innovations Lab (03/2011 – 12/2012), SRA
Led projects on next generation products and services for Samsung. Managed both interdisciplinary and technical teams, including FTE, contractors, external partners, interns.
January 2002 – February 2011 | San Jose, CA
Eastman Kodak Company
Employee from 06/2004-02/2011; Consultant from 01/2002-06/2004
Researcher, Photographic Science & Technology Center, Kodak R&D (10/2004 – 2/2011)
Conducted research in areas primarily related to consumer digital photography
Project Leader, New Business Development, Kodak R&D (01/2002 – 10/2004)
Led cross-site, geographically distributed team in evaluating new concepts and product / service opportunities for Kodak. Conducted early stage new business evaluation to reduce risk and make recommendations to upper management.
09/1997 – 09/2001 | Naperville, IL
Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies
Member of the Technical Staff (Researcher), Software Production Research Department
Conducted research in several areas including universal messaging for wireless handheld devices, information visualization, collaborative systems, and multimodal interfaces (e.g., speech-based interfaces)
06/1990 – 09/1996 | Ann Arbor, MI
Technical, Design, and Educational Specialist
Project FLAME (Foreign Language Applications in the Multimedia Environment)
Designed and developed interactive multimedia applications for foreign language and multi-cultural learning and instruction, including the award-winning Mexico Vivo Teacher’s Partner and Learner’s Partner applications
PATENTS AND PAPERS
See granted patents and published papers here.
PhD Computer Science and Engineering, August 1997
Thesis: MultiMedia Visual Information Seeking (MMVIS): An interactive information visualization approach to analyzing temporal relationship trends in data such as video.
MS Education and Computer Science, May 1991
BS Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, May 1987
- Coolest App Award, iOSDevCamp 2013 for “The Claw” (with Mark Chen, Michael Wang, Jun Chen, Powen Ko, and Shawn Jackson) — open source game that employs multiple accessibility options to control a real robotic arm: voice input, face detection and mind control.
- Sacrifice to the Demo Gods Award, iOSDevCamp 2012 for “Chicken Dance” (with Anna Billstrom) — iOS app to capture video and song to create a random 7-second mash-up.
- Best Social Game Award, iOSDevCamp 2010 for SocialPong (with Anna Billstrom).
ACTIVITIES AND INTERESTS
- Member of Association for Computer Machinery (ACM) and ACM SIGCHI, SIGMM
- BayCHI volunteer and Steering Committee member, 01/2003-present
- Chair of BayCHI (San Francisco Bay Area local SIG for ACM SIGCHI), 07/2003-06/2005
- DIY home remodeling, gardening, CNC / making things, photography
- UX for consumers (wearables, mobile, audio, TV, IoT, cross-device). New technologies enabling innovative interactions and UX paradigm shifts. New developer tools and SDK’s for mobile, web and / or new hardware.
References furnished upon request.