I always encourage my direct reports to not just work on their own projects, but to also have impact on their department and to contribute to their professional community. Below are some of the ways that I am giving or have given back to my professional community. The amazing thing about giving to your community is that it is also often a very rewarding experience.
Professional Activities & Volunteering
- Committee Member of WISE (Women In Samsung Electronics) for Samsung Research America
- Volunteer for TechBridge events at Samsung Research America — encouraging the next generation of female scientists and engineers
- Member of Association for Computer Machinery (ACM) and ACM SIGCHI and SIGMM
- Monthly Program Logistics Volunteer for BayCHI (current)
- Chair of BayCHI (San Francisco Bay Area local SIG for ACM SIGCHI), 07/2003 – 06/2005
- Vice Chair of BayCHI, 01/2003 – 06/2003
- Chair of CHI-Squared (Chicago area local SIG for ACM SIGCHI), 1999-2002
- CSE Graduate Committee student representative, 1993-94
- Student Volunteer: CHI’94, ACM MM’94, CHI’95, IJCAI’95, DIS’95
Recent Talks and Workshops
- Hibino, S. and Billstrom, A. (October 2015). “Come Hack With Us: A Hardware Hackathon at GHC!” 1-hour workshop at the 2015 Grace Hopper Conference.
- Panelist, FountainBlue’s When She Speaks, Women in Leadership Series (September 2015). Panel on “Make your own rules” with Jennifer Altergott (Polycom), Raji Arasu (StubHub), Grace Hu-Morley (Cisco), Tamara Lucero (Cypress), Nancy Monson (Nancy Monson Coaching, facilitator).
- Panelist, IoT World 2015, San Francisco (May 2015). “IoT User Experience Design” with Gordon Hui (Smart Design), Scott Jenson (Google), Peter Merholz (Jawbone), Mike Kuniavsky (PARC, moderator).